Purpose of the Position:
To ensure that the ooba is conducting business in full compliance with all national laws and regulations that pertain to the financial services industry, as well as professional standards, accepted business practices, and internal standards.
We’re looking for someone with current operational compliance officer experience and RE qualifications, who has the potential to grow into a group compliance role.
Required Qualifications & Experience:
- Degree in Law or Commerce is required
- RE1 & 5 certification.
- Certificate in Compliance Management is advantageous
- Registered with FSCA as a FAIS Compliance officer is essential (and CAT I and II is preferred).
- 3 – 5 years relevant experience in a Brokerage environment (essential) with specific focus on Life, Short Term Personal Lines and Short and Long Term Deposits
- Membership of the Compliance Institute SA will be advantageous (future membership fees will be sponsored by ooba)
Required Skills & Knowledge:
- Compliance monitoring and reporting
- Risk management
- Compliance and legal projects management
- Compliance advice and training
- Documentation reviews
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy (MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint and MS Outlook)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Market orientation
- Stress resistance
Key Performance Areas:
We are looking for a hands-on person to take custodianship of our group compliance role. This will include:
- Identify and understand the legislative universe applicable to the ooba Group’s particular FSP’s and advise business of the implications thereof
- Guide the operationalisation and implementation of new legislation and practices in the regulatory environment
- Make recommendations to improve client service and fair treatment of clients
- Develop and execute an effective compliance risk management plan to identify, assess and manage compliance risk and reputation across the legislative universe
- Design and implement compliance monitoring plans and compliance risk management plans (CRMPs) based on relevant legislative requirements and ensure the implementation of internal controls, processes and practices and document the effectiveness thereof
- Evaluate compliance with relevant legislations in ooba’s internal policies and procedures
- Conduct compliance audits and draft detailed compliance reports for submission to relevant internal committees
- Ensure the development, maintenance and review of relevant policies
- Compile and submit regulatory reports to FSCA (e.g. FAIS annual compliance reports)
- Drive ooba’s risk committee
- Ensure appropriate and timeous communication of legislation and internal policy
- Create awareness of compliance requirements and risk, by devising training material and provide training on compliance related issues
- Train and assist employees to improve their regulatory knowledge and enhance their compliant behaviours
What We Can Offer You:
ooba’s people enjoy a unique culture of partnership, knowledge, challenging conventional thinking, and fun. We don’t think of ourselves as a corporate. We have a fairly flat management structure: no suits and ties, no ‘Mr and Mrs anybody’, no draconian workplace rules.
We offer competitive salaries and an annual performance bonus.
ooba further provides you with 100% subsidised life and disability cover, as well as free access to South Africa’s top employee assistance provider – ICAS. As a specialist, you will benefit from 20 working days leave per annum.
We encourage work-life balance and allow flexible working hours (and working from home), where it is operationally practical.
Most importantly, we can offer you access to growth, learning and challenging work.
(The online application process is quick and easy to complete.)